There has been so much change and uncertainty that we are experiencing during this Covid-19 pandemic. I don't know about you, but I have been all over the place mentally, emotionally, and physically. Some days are good and some days are so overwhelming that I just want to stop, rewind and try again. I've had my share of overwhelming days and I knew I had to get back into a routine to clear my mind and be intentional about how I start my day.
I wanted to share some of the ways that I try to ensure that my day starts off on the right foot. This list is in addition to those listed on my instagram post. Special thanks to the friends who commented and shared some of the things that they do as well.
1) Meditation and prayer. We know that our thoughts affect our mood and behavior. Meditation and prayer allows me to quiet my mind, release anxiety, be in a space of gratitude, and fill my mind with positive thoughts. This is the perfect time to speak your personal affirmations that set the tone for how you want your day to flow. I've been returning to this one throughout the day as needed!!!
2) Get Moving. I notice when I start my day with some form of exercise, my body is more alert, it reduces fatigue, and I just have more energy all around. Most of the time, I'm just stretching or doing some light movements but it truly does give me the boost I need.
3) Get up earlier. This especially helps me as a mother. If I get up an hour before everyone else, it gives me a moment to get my mind right without distractions. I use this time to do the things mentioned above, plan out my day, or do nothing at all...in peace.
4) Drink a glass of water. I love water, it's so refreshing. For some reason, its hard for me to drink... it's not just water though...I don't drink a lot of anything.. I know..I know...How right?!?!? Total dehydration over here...I totally need to do better. But when I do drink it, I find if I start the morning off with bottle of water it makes it easier for me to reach that 1/2 your body weight daily intake goal. Hello Hydration!
5) Opening the Curtains. A friend reminded me of this one and it's a keeper especially in spring and summer when the sun rises earlier. I am in love with natural light! If you have been following my work, you will see that it is my favorite "light" to use in photography. Natural light flowing into a space improves my mood and relaxes me. I feel welcomed into a naturally lit room which has been calming when I'm having anxious thoughts.
Well that's it folks. Just a few ways that I try to start my day off right. I hope I've said something that helped or inspired you to be intentional about how you start your day. Please don't just roll out of the bed and hit the ground running. Take a second, listen to what you body is telling you it needs.